Sunday, May 15, 2011

Palo Duro Canyon State Park, TX

This was totally awesome!  This is an example of how mountain biking opens up a whole new world to travelers.  Who knew that 15 miles south of Amarillo, TX, is the second largest canyon in the United States!   Who knew!  Not me.  It's lovely.   I found this on trails.com.  You can ride all the trails in the park so it's a lot of miles.  There are a few trails set aside for mountain bikes only.  I rode those some and took wrong turns and ended up on hiking/biking trails which seemed just as good.  It was a total blast.  You could ride these trails every week and not get tired of them, and that's what people do.  I asked these 3 guys for advice and they let me ride with them and they were very nice.  It was great fun.  We rode the Capitol Peak Mountain bike trail, then the Cottonwood flats, then Little Fox canyon, then back on the lighthouse trail.   Here I am with my elbow pads just in case I fall:


Those black pants turned out to be too hot.

Here's the main mountain bike path.  Everyone gets lost and just rides around until they exit.  On my second ride, I got lost pretty quickly and ended up on the Juniper Cliffside trail.  Fortunately that was loads of fun and plenty challenging.


The lighthouse formation seems to be the signature landmark of the park.  It's not very large, but it's very distinctive, so I can see how that would be a great landmark for getting your bearings.  The lighthouse trail is the most boring for mountain biking, and I would just save that for hiking.  It's meant to be a horseback riding trail (and hiking).

Now that I have my bearings, next time I will actually ride the route recommended on the website:   The Givens, Spicer & Lowry running trail and the Capital peak trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment