Sunday, December 27, 2009

dec. 21

It was 25 F at 6:53 am, winds variable at 4 mph, so a very nice morning. The paths were pretty clear and I was thinking I should have ridden my other bike without the studded tires because it is much faster.















After my exercise class I went to campus for a meeting. Then I always like to take the scenic ride home using the downtown bike path down to John Nolan Drive and Lake Monona. I saw these ducks I hadn't seen before, must be migrating. I think they are Common loons, adult non-breeding. They were definitely shy. They flew away whenever I stopped so I couldn't get a close-up of them.


















Then there was one that looked different and was not shy. This one looks like a juvenile common loon.













Not sure if I got that right, but that's kind of fun if correct. We don't see many loons here in Madison, except when they are migrating.

1 comment:

  1. "We don't see many loons here in Madison, except when they are migrating."

    Or riding their bikes in the dead of winter. :-]

    ReplyDelete